Dubuque Restaurant Takes Top 20 in Yelp’s Midwest Top 100
No matter where you live, everyone has their favorite restaurant to eat at. Now, yelp has made things even easier with the annual release of their top 100 restaurant lists.
For this new list of the Top 100 Restaurants in the Midwest, yelp searched through amazing eateries across a dozen states; Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin. The food is as diverse as the people that live here, from big city tastes to small town farm-to-table delights.
So how did the Tri-State area fair? Well, not super well. Across the state of Iowa, five restaurants made the cut, with our highest place coming out of Dubuque at #13 on the list. That restaurant, Brazen, was the only Tri-State area restaurant to make the list. Illinois pulled in 20 eateries, and Wisconsin managed 7 on the Yelp Top 100 List.
Iowa's Top Restaurants
- #13 Brazen Open Kitchen Bar, Dubuque
Brazen is not only an amazing place to eat, but they won me over with their extraordinary cocktail craftsmanship. They make some of the best and most unique martinis and their old-fashioned is phenomenal. Brazen houses an open scratch kitchen where they create food from fresh locally sourced ingredients.
“People are drawn to things that are authentic and genuine, the things that are made in small batches. Everyone wants that thing. And behind that thing is a person, not a machine, and it is warm and inviting and we support that.”
- Kevin Scharpf, Brazen Chef
- #42 Mi Patria Ecuadorian Restaurant, West Des Moines
- #69 Harbinger, Des Moines
- #83 Ramen Belly, Iowa City
- #97 Simon’s, Des Moines
Illinois Top Restaurants
- #6 Sunset Pho Caffe, Chicago, Illinois
- #10 Aloha Wagon, Chicago, Illinois
- #12 Penumbra, Chicago, Illinois
- #20 Kuma’s Sushi Bowl, Vernon Hills, Illinois
- #21 Boba Burger, Morton Grove, Illinois
- #24 Asadoras Argentina Burgers, Oswego, Illinois
- #31 XOchimilco Mexican Restaurant, Chicago, Illinois
- #38 HD Cuisine, Wheeling, Illinois
- #40 Offset BBQ, Chicago, Illinois
- #46 KALA Modern Greek, Chicago, Illinois
- #49 Bavette’s Bar & Boeuf, Chicago, Illinois
- #52 North Branch Fried Chicken, Chicago, Illinois
- #54 Chez François Poutinerie, Naperville, Illinois
- #57 Dos Amigos Mexican Restaurant, Libertyville, Illinois
- #62 El Xangarrito, Chicago, Illinois
- #67 Big Ed’s BBQ, Waukegan, Illinois
- #80 Bongiorno’s Italian Deli & Pizzeria, Chicago, Illinois
- #82 Community Tavern, Chicago, Illinois
- #88 Cedar Palace, Chicago, Illinois
Wisconsin Top Restaurants
- #47 Brothers Gyros & Pizza, Hales Corners, Wisconsin
- #56 Blue’s Egg, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- #72 Author’s Kitchen + Bar, Appleton, Wisconsin
- #87 Old Germantown, Germantown, Wisconsin
- #91 Kin by Rice n Roll, Wauwatosa, Wisconsin
- #95 St Paul Fish Company, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
According to yelp, the list of the top 100 places to eat in the Midwest, was created using businesses in the restaurants category, then ranked those spots using a number of factors, including the total volume and ratings of reviews between January 1, 2021, and May 1, 2023. This list looked at businesses in Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin. As of May 1, 2023, all businesses on the top 100 list have a passing health score.
Seen Above, a dish from #6 Sunset Pho Caffe, located in Chicago, Illinois.
Looking at this list, it seems that Chicago is your best bet to try lots of great restaurants not far from each other.
It is great to see a local restaurant in Brazen score so highly on the top 100 list. It just goes to show, when things are done right, it doesn't matter where you call home; quality always wins out.