Free, Family-Fun Event At Dyersville Greenspace This Sunday
The Dubuque County Soil & Water Conservation District, is excited to invite families and nature enthusiasts of all ages to an adventure filled FREE event that promises both fun and education. On Sunday, September 17th, from 10:30 AM to 5:00 PM, get to the Dyersville Greenspace, at Westside Park, 417 3rd Ave SW, Dyersville for a hub of conservation, wildlife, and learning.
Conservation Day in Dyersville is an entirely free event that brings together conservation professionals from across Iowa. It's an opportunity to embark on an adventure of discovery as you dive into the mysteries of nature, wildlife, and conservation. Partake in interactive activities, informative presentations, and encounter a wild animal; this event offers something for everyone. One of the event's highlights is a leisurely walk along the scenic North Fork Maquoketa River. While strolling beside the calm waters, you'll gain insights into the historical and beautiful world around you.
Who is going to be at the event?
The event features a diverse range of interactive and informative booths hosted by various agencies, non-profits, local farms, and businesses, all united by a common passion for conservation. You can engage with experts and learn about the latest initiatives and practices shaping Iowa's conservation landscape. You can expect to rub shoulders with professionals and organizations deeply committed to preserving Iowa's natural beauty. From soil health and gardening tips to fish hatchery insights and pollinator conservation, there's a wealth of knowledge to tap into. You can even get hands-on with archery, courtesy of Plum Creek Archery.
Wait, you said there would be Wild Animals?
I mean, what event is complete without a memorable wildlife experience? You will get to meet live pheasants, learn about Iowa's bat population, discover the world of wood turtles, and get up close with educational animals like falcons, skunks, snakes, flying squirrels, opossums, and barred owls.
You won't go away hunger either - Delight Your Taste Buds
When hunger strikes, food trucks on-site will serve up a delicious array of options, ensuring you're fueled and ready to continue your exploration. Enjoy eats from Cloud Eleven Cotton Candy Company, Moski’s BBQ Food Truck, Happi Hibachi Food Truck, and Opal and Hazel’s Wood Fired Pizza.
Conservation Day is Hosted By the Dubuque County Soil and Water Conservation District and is Free For All!
This event promises a day of inspiration and connection with the natural world. It's a chance to foster a deeper appreciation for conservation efforts in Iowa and to leave with a newfound understanding of our role in preserving the environment. Mark your calendars for this Sunday, September 17th, and bring your family for an unforgettable day of learning and fun at the Dyersville Greenspace. Whether you're a seasoned conservationist or just curious about nature, Conservation Day in Dyersville welcomes everyone to experience the joys of our natural world!
Check out the full list of participants below:
- NRCS/SWCD Soil Booth, inflatable soil health tunnel, dirt cookies
- Face painting - animals & insects
- ISU Extension – gardening, sponsored by Decorah Seed Exchange providing seed packs to take home
- Manchester Fish Hatchery – Iowa DNR—Dan Kirby
- NRCS Composting with microbes
- Dubuque County Conservation – Pollinator booth, Mowing to Monarchs
- James Kennedy Public Library – pop up library & conservation crafts with Brown’s Hometown Victory Foundation
- National Wild Turkey Federation—Ryan Recker
- Plum Creek Archery—Introduction to Archery
- Dubuque Conservation Society
- Maquoketa River Watershed Management Authority – water Quality, watershed education
- Pheasants Forever - Live Pheasants
- Dubuque county Urban Conservation
- Cox Springs Farm (Goats On The Go® Dubuque) targeted grazing demonstration with live goats
- Trees forever—Andrew Rust
- NRCS Jennifer Kruse—Stream Biology
- Mushroom inoculation and foraging –Stone Hallow Homestead
- Wildthunder Wildlife Rehab from Independence – live educational animals talking about wildlife rehab (falcon, skunk, snakes, flying squirrel, opossum, barred owl)
- Maquoketa Caves—Bats & Caves-Ryland Richards Iowa DNR
- Iowa Wood Turtle Conservation—UNI professor Jeff Tamplin
- Whitetails Unlimited
- Dyersville Chapter Ducks Unlimited
- Jupiter Ridge Farm – organic farm to table, pumpkins & conservation
- National Mississippi River Museum & Aquarium - Mississippi River Freshwater Mussels
- Field of Dreams Watershed Story Booth