Iowa’s First Cannabis Beverage Now Easier To Find
Cannabis consumption has been the basis of debate across state lines and nationally in politics for decades. This has caused those interested in the market to find ways around the laws, so to speak. In many places, businesses don't even have to, after it has been legalized for recreational use. In fact, across the state of Iowa many changes have rapidly developed. The Iowa Hawkeye Radio Broadcasts are even sponsored by medical cannabis dispensary Bud & Mary's; Ed Podolak promotes the medical cannabis company during the broadcasts. That company even states, "there’s no THC cap on Iowa Medical cannabis products, and getting a card is simple."
Now Iowa's First Cannabis-Infused Beverage is getting 2 new flavors and a runout state-wide!
It's made in Des Moines, IA, and is called appropriately "Climbing Kites." By the way you can now get this delightfully light and heady brew at loads of locations across Iowa; including right here in Dubuque at Dimensional Brewing Company.
Eastern Iowa Sales Locations for Climbing Kites:
- Basic Goods - Iowa City
- Big Grove Brewery - Iowa City & Solon
- Bootleggin’ Barzinis - Coralville
- CIV Plus - Cedar Rapids & Iowa City
- Club 76 The Lodge - North Liberty
- Dimensional Brewing Company - Dubuque
- Hometown Spirits - Tiffin
- John's Grocery - Iowa City
- Johncy's Liquor Store - North Liberty
- Liberty View Wine and Spirits - North Liberty
- Local Craft Cellar - Cedar Rapids
- Shag Alternative Superstore - Cedar Rapids, Davenport
- Tin Roost - North Liberty
- Wild Culture Kombucha - Iowa City
You can even order it to go, but online ordering is currently unavailable. Outside the brewery, the drink has also been sold at local festivals and events. It's sold in 4 delicious flavors, Orange Mango, Pineapple Passion Fruit, Mixed Berry, and Peach Prickly Pear.
According to Lua Brewing's website, Cannabis-Infused Sparkling Water is intended for ages 21 and up. It has a 0.0% ABV content, is Gluten Free, and is Vegan. Climbing Kites is fully licensed by the Iowa Department of Inspections and Appeals and all of its products have been approved by the State for sale and consumption. Climbing Kites is also in compliance with applicable federal laws and guidelines. To put it as plainly as possible, their plant-based products are entirely legal, even in the stricter cannabis community of Iowa.
So How is "Flying Kites" Legal if it Contains Cannabis?
Federal officials have removed hemp from the definition of marijuana in the Controlled Substances Act as part of the 2018 Farm Bill. This makes some types of cannabis products with less than 0.3% THC totally legal. Governor Kim Reynolds signed the "Iowa Hemp Act" in 2019, which allows the state's ag department to grant hemp grower licenses and regulate "consumable" products. Lua holds an active consumable hemp manufacturer registration, according to the Iowa Department of Health and Human Services. If you're curious about the differences between hemp and other controlled versions of cannabis in Iowa, this article can clear it up.
So, if you are looking to "fly a kite" across the state of Iowa check out all the other locations where you can get "climbing."
- Alluvial Brewing Company - Ames
- Bellhop Tiki - Des Moines
- Big Grove Brewery - Des Moines
- Brightside Aleworks - Altoona
- Bud & Mary's Dispensary - Windsor Heights
- Campbell's Nutrition - Des Moines
- CBD American Shaman - Altoona & West Des Moines
- CIV Plus - Adel, Altoona, Ames, Ankeny, Clive, Grimes, North DSM, South DSM, & West DSM
- Cyclone Liquors - Ames
- Despensary - Des Moines
- House of Glass - Des Moines
- Liquor Lovers - Ankeny
- Lua Brewing - Des Moines
- The O-Zone - Des Moines
- Paws & Pints - Des Moines
- Shag Alternative Superstore - Ames, Des Moines, Marshalltown & Oskaloosa
- Tonic Bar - West Des Moines
- The Traveling Bean - Mobile / Central Iowa
- The U Bar & Grill - Urbandale
- Up-Down Arcade Bar - Des Moines
North Central Iowa:
- Northside Liquor - Mason City
- CIV Plus - Waterloo
- Happy's Wine & Spirits - Cedar Falls
- Impact Coffee - Decorah
- Pulpit Rock Brewing Company - Decorah
Mad Ave Quick Shop - Ottumwa
- Brioux City Brewery - Sioux City
- Bud & Mary's Dispensary - Sioux City
- Shag Alternative Superstore - Sioux City
- Wise I Brewing Company - Le Mars
Quick note, although these locations do offer these products for sale, the products themselves are subject to availability. To ensure products are in-stock and available contact your local retailer.
Overall, it appears that the cannabis market in Iowa is diversifying, with products like cannabis-infused beverages gaining popularity and legal recognition within the state's regulatory framework. It's also interesting to see the collaboration between cannabis-related businesses and other industries, such as radio broadcasts and local festivals.
Looking for other amazing local beverages... Check out these hits!