Veteran’s Day Freebies, Deals, and Events Across Iowa, Wisconsin, and Illinois
Every year participating restaurants and businesses honor current and veteran service men and women with free or discounted meals on for Veterans Day. Here is a current list of places around the tri-state area. For updates or additional Retail or Travel discounts for Veterans please check out this webpage.
To honor members of the military, these area restaurants will be offering veterans free meals in honor of Veterans Day, November 11th:
- Applebee's -- On November 11, active-duty military, veterans, reserves and National Guard that dine in-restaurant get a complimentary full-size entrée from a special menu. They will also receive a $5 Bounce Back Card to redeem for dine-in, To Go, or delivery within a three-week redemption window.
- Buffalo Wild Wings -- Veterans and active-duty service members get a free order of 10 Boneless Wings and Fries on November 11 with valid ID. Only available for dine-in. Buffalo Wild Wings GO locations will be included for walk-in/order at the counter only.
- Caribou Coffee -- Veterans, active-duty military members and their spouses with a valid ID receive a Small Hot Brewed Coffee of the Day or Cold Press, excluding nitro on November 11.
- Casey's General Stores -- Casey’s is offering any size complimentary coffee or fountain drink to all veterans on November 11.
- Chili's -- Veterans and active-duty service members get a free meal from a select menu on November 11 with proof of service. Available for in-restaurant only.
- Dave & Buster's -- Veterans get a free entree (up to $20) and a free $10 Power Card with a valid veterans ID card on November 11.
- Dunkin' -- Veterans and active-duty military get a free donut of their choice on November 11 at participating locations. Offer available in-store only.
- Einstein Bros. Bagels -- Veterans and active-duty military get a free hot or iced coffee (any size) with a purchase in-store on November 11.
- Freddy's Frozen Custard and Steakburgers -- Veterans and active-duty military personnel who visit on November 11 will receive a free Freddy’s Original Double with Cheese combo meal card that can be redeemed through November 30.
- Golden Corral -- Golden Corral is hosting their Military Appreciation Night on November 13 from 5pm to close. This includes a free “thank you” meal when dining in.
- Hooters -- Active-duty military and veterans get a free entrée from the Hooters Veterans Day Menu with purchase of a beverage at participating locations on November 11. Dine-in only.
- Hy-Vee -- Veterans, military members and their families get a free fresh breakfast on November 10 between 6 and 10 a.m. Plus, veterans and military members receive 15% off grocery purchases on November 10. Shop in-store or Hy-Vee Aisles Online and use promo code HOMEFRONT15 at checkout.
- IHOP -- Veterans and active-duty military get free Red, White, & Blueberry Pancakes or Pancake Combo on November 11 from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Dine-in only, at participating restaurants.
- Old Chicago -- Veterans and active-duty military get a complimentary lunch entree from an exclusive menu on November 11.
- Outback Steakhouse -- Active-duty military and veterans get a free Bloomin' Onion and beverage with the purchase of an adult entree in-restaurant on November 11.
- Perkins -- Veterans and active-duty military get a free Magnificent Seven Meal on November 11 with valid ID.
- Pilot Flying J -- Service members and their families get a free meal at participating locations November 10 to 12 through a special offer in the app.
- Red Lobster -- Veterans, active-duty military and reservists get free printed meal vouchers for Veterans Shrimp & Chips from 11:00am to 4:00pm local time on November 11. Guests need to show a valid military ID or proof of service. The voucher can be redeemed beginning November 13 through December 10 for dine-in only.
- Red Robin – Veterans and active-duty military get a complimentary Red's Big Tavern Burger on November 11 with valid ID. Dine-in only, not valid for online or to-go orders. The free meal also comes with an endless side of steak fries.
- Smoothie King -- Active-duty military and veterans get a free smoothie from one of three red, white, and blue smoothies at participating locations on November 11 with a valid ID.
- Starbucks -- Starbucks is honoring those who have served with a free tall (12-ounce) hot or cold brewed coffee for veterans, military service members and military spouses who visit participating U.S. stores on November 11.
Local Vets can also find great retail deals at these businesses:
AARP -- AARP salutes you for your service to our country with a special membership offer. Join for only $9 per year with a 5-year term and save up to 43% off. Or join for 1 year for just $12 and save 25% off the standard annual rate.
Academy Sports + Outdoors -- Active-duty service members and veterans get 10% off the entire purchase online or in-store now to November 12.
Goodyear Auto Service -- Veterans and active-duty service members with a valid ID receive 10% off instantly and can be combined with all current offers, November 10 through 14. The “Free Car Care for Vets” promotion includes free tire, alignment, brake, fuel system, and fluid checks. Schedule an appointment by November 14 and use the discount by November 19.
Great Clips – On November 11, veterans and active military service members can go to any U.S. Great Clips salon and get a free haircut or a card for a free haircut that can be redeemed during a future visit. Non-military customers who get a haircut at a Great Clips salon on November 11 will also receive a free haircut card that can be given to a veteran or active military service member in their life to thank them for their service. These cards can be redeemed for a free haircut from November 12 through December 1, 2023.
Kohl’s -- Active and former military personnel, veterans, and their families receive 30% off qualifying in-store purchases from November 10 through 12. Valid military ID is required.
Kroger -- Active and former military members and their dependents get a 10% discount in stores on November 11 with a valid military ID. Excludes alcohol, tobacco products, fuel, money orders, taxes, postage stamps, Gift Cards/Certificates, lottery, promotional tickets, CRV, prescriptions and guest or customer services/fees. Must use Rewards Card or Shopper's Card to earn reward.
Office Depot and OfficeMax -- Veterans, active duty and retired military personnel, reservists, and their dependents receive 25% off qualifying regular and sale-priced purchases in stores nationwide November 11 through 13. Shoppers must present a valid military ID, military dependent ID or form of veteran ID at the time of purchase.
Q Casino -- From Friday, November 10 to Sunday, November 12, All Veterans and active military members can enjoy $10 in free play.
Rite Aid -- From November 10 to 12, customers with a valid military ID or proof of service are eligible for 15% off regular-priced items at any location. Customers must be members of the Rite Aid Rewards program. In-store purchases only.
Sleep Number -- Sleep Number is offering exclusive military discounts – 20% off most Sleep Number 360® smart beds, all bases, and most bedding purchases. This offer is valid through November 13. Exclusions apply.
Sport Clips -- On November 11, participating locations will provide free haircuts to veterans and active-duty service members with valid proof of service.
Target -- Target is offering a 10% military discount from October 29 through November 11 to all active-duty military personnel, veterans and their families. The discount can be used on two separate transactions and applies to all in-basket items, online and in-store.
Walgreens -- On November 10 through 13, veterans, active-duty military and their families receive 20% off regular price eligible store items at any Walgreens or Duane Reade drugstore nationwide.
As with any business these deals are only available at those that are participating, so it's always a good idea to ask before expecting service.
Tri-State Veteran Day Events and Ceremonies for 2023:
Dubuque, IA: Dubuque American Legion Post #6 proudly announces the 2023 Veterans Day ceremony. The event will be held at the ImOn Arena on Chaplain Schmitt Island. All military Veterans and patriotic citizens are invited to attend. The program will start at 10:30am, Saturday, November 11, and will last for about 30 minutes. All Tri-State Veterans organizations and military units have been encouraged to participate. Our featured speaker is Jacob Krapfl. He grew up in New Viena, Iowa. Jacob served in U.S. Army. He served four years active duty with the 2/319th Airborne Field Artillery Regiment 82nd Airborne Division. Jacob was honorably discharged in 2006. Music will be included in the program. Heather Cunard will sing the national anthem. The East Dubuque Drum and Bugle Corp and Dubuque Fire Pipe and Drums will participate in the ceremony.
Dubuque, IA: In honor of Veterans Day on Saturday, November 11th, the Dubuque Fighting Saints are offering free tickets to military personnel for that evening's game against the Youngstown Phantoms.
South Clinton, IA: Thursday, November 9th, 5 to 7pm Veterans Network hosts a special event at the Great Revivalist Brewery. This gathering is dedicated to supporting local veterans. The in-person event will take place at 238 4th Ave South.
Cedar Rapids, IA: On Saturday, November 11th, at 4pm attend the War & Remembrance Veterans Day Tribute. The magnetic voices of Ethan Elsbernd (baritone) and Sarah Rosales (soprano) with Nathan Carterette (pianist), explore haunting lyrics and arresting melodies in a concert honoring the men and women who have served our country. Free and open to the public.
Malvern, IA: On Sunday, November 12th from 5 to 7 pm attend a Salute to Veterans. Open to all Mills County Veterans and one ADULT (age 16 & older) guest. This is an evening to honor our local heroes. Dinner will be catered by Classic Cafe. Patriotic music and videos will play, door prizes drawn. Two great speakers lined up. Capt. Chuck "Filet" Mingonet Jr., a retired Navy pilot who flew the EA-6B and F/A-18, and Troy Peterson, an Army veteran that speaks about his deployment to Baghdad and the PTSD he faced afterwards. It will be a great evening of honoring veterans.
Chicago, IL: A Veterans Coffee Break with Southside Strong is planned from 9 to 11am Friday, November 10th, at the Blue Door Neighborhood Center’s Pullman Location at 756 E. 111 Street.
Warrenville, IL: On Friday, November 10th from 8:30 to 10:30am celebrate and honor the Warrenville veterans while enjoying a delicious breakfast buffet. The event is FREE for Veterans, their spouses, children or special guest. Advance registration for each group is required; click Here to Register Online.
Aurora, IL: On Saturday, November 11th beginning at 10:15am the City of Aurora recognizes the dedication of local military service men and women that have served our country at the annual Veterans Day Procession and Ceremony on Saturday, November 11th, 2023. The procession steps-off at the corner of Water St. and Downer Pl. and will march West on Downer Place. The parade will conclude in front of the Grand Army of the Republic Military Museum (23 E Downer Place) where the Serving Our Country and Community ceremony will take place. The ceremony includes a military rifle salute by veteran organizations at 11am, the exact time the armistice was signed that ended WWI.
St. Charles, IL: On Saturday, November 11th, the annual St. Charles Veterans Day Ceremony will be held at 10:30am, in Fire Station 1, at 112 N. Riverside Ave. The ceremony will begin with the singing of the National Anthem, followed by a prayer, remarks, a closing prayer, gun salute and Taps performance. For more information, contact LTC (Ret) Mark Powell, Event Coordinator, at 630.329.6444.
Anna, IL: On Saturday, November 11th, at 11am the Veterans’ Day Parade will be held. The parade will start at Rusty’s at the Anna City Park and proceed West on Davie St. then turn South on Main St. The parade will end at the Anna City Park. For more information contact the VFW post by phone at 833-5182 between the hours of 1 and 10pm.
Warren, IL: Warren High School will hold a Veteran’s Day Program on Friday, November 10th at 1pm in the school gymnasium. Guests can enter at 12:30pm.
Benton, WI: The Benton VFW will hold a Steak Feed on Saturday, November 11th from 4:30 to 7pm at 82 E. Main St Benton. Carry outs will be available.
Waukesha, WI: On Thursday, November 9th from 10am to 2pm a Womens Veterans Day Assembly will take place at Elks Lodge #400, 2301 Springdale Road. Women Veterans can learn of housing, education, monetary, healthcare, long-term care, Vocational Rehabilitation, home loan, and other benefits available to them.
Tomah, WI: On Thursday, November 9th, from 9 to 10am join Tomah VA Medical Center at 500 E. Veterans Street, to honor all Veterans. This ceremony is open to the public.
Superior, WI: On Saturday, November 11th, from 11am to 3pm feel free to attend the Twin Ports Veterans Expo. This in-person event is a fantastic opportunity to connect with veterans and help them explore resources tailored to their needs.
Green Bay, WI: On Sunday, November 12th, from 11am to 4pm attend the Salute to Service Party. All proceeds for this years event go to Honor & Valor Outdoors and Dogs 2 Dogtags! Watch the noon (away) Packer game. Enjoy Veteran & Military resources/booths, free pizza, raffles, silent auction, 50/50 raffle, swag bags, kids coloring contest & more! Past and present military service members please enjoy FREE admission & 2 drink tickets. We humbly ask for a $10 donation for non-military attendees.
LOOK: 20 photos of shipwrecks from WWI and WWII
Gallery Credit: Elias Sorich